Saturday, October 15, 2011

Buckeye Cookies


I'm from Cincinnati OHIO. And when I moved out to Utah it took a while to figure out what was strictly "eastern talk," in other words, "Utah-unfamiliar vocabulary" and visa versa. For instance, you don't say "oh my heck" or "oh my gosh" out in Cincinnati. They don't know what "heck" and "gosh" mean. So that was one thing nice about moving out here. I got several new Mormon expressive phrases added to my vocabulary. So when I started talking about buckeye cookies when I 1st moved here, no one knew what I was talking about. Not only did they not know what a buckeye cookie was, they didn't even know what buckeyes were. So THIS is what a buckeye is.
buckeye-tree-nut-lg
And HERE is a buckeye cookie.
When we were little we would go on nature hikes and collect buckeyes. There are a lot of trees and woods and forests in Cincinnati, everywhere. Everyone's back yard has a ton of trees- One thing I really miss about Ohio. So in tribute to the Ohio Buckeye, A lot of Cincinnati-ins make these buckeye cookies. They're super good, and super easy. They Taste like a Reese's, actually better than a Reese's. Ive made them ever since I was little and your supposed to dip just 1/2 of the cookie in chocolate, but early on I started dipping the whole cookie in chocolate. The more chocolate the better. Sometimes I use just milk chocolate sometimes I use just white chocolate, sometimes I use both white and milk chocolate. Tonight I used BOTH

Buckeye Cookies
(original recipe: HERE)

3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2.5 cups powdered sugar
3 cups white and milk chocolate chips
Crisco

With electric mixer, mix butter, peanut butter, and vanilla on high speed until completely/ thoroughly mixed. Gradually mix in 2.5 cups powdered sugar till dough comes together. Roll dough into walnut size balls and place on plate in freezer for at least 1 hour. Melt chocolate over double boiler. (If you don't have a double boiler, melt chocolate in microwave w/ Tablespoon Crisco. 30 second intervals till smooth and melted. Dip buckeyes into melted chocolate. Store buckeyes in fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment