Monday, October 17, 2011

Mini Chip Cut-out Cookies

PHOTO SOURCE: CREATEDBYDIANE

This is officially my new favorite cookie recipe EVER. Of all cookies I've ever made or tried. And I've tried a lot. So that's to say a lot. History behind this cookie: when I was little, we had a Mrs fields cookie shop at our mall and every time I went there, I had to get a cookie monster cookie. They were soooo good. They were thick cut-out cookie monster cookies with tons of bright blue butter cream frosting. But it wasn't a frosted "sugar" cookie, it was a frosted chocolate chip cut out cookie. And I remember always thinking that that was so cool. Yet at the time, It never even crossed my mind that I could one day make my own cookie just like it. I was way too young. The only thing I knew how to bake was nestle toll house original chocolate chip cookies that always came out super flat and gross, but even that was a huge accomplishment for me. The Internet was also a new thing at that time. We had one computer and It ran super slow and wasn't even worth taking the time to use it. Blogger sites didn't yet exist and so it wasn't as easy to research recipes or get blogger inspiration. But through the years, Ive always remembered my cookie monster cookie and then when I saw a recipe for mini chip cut out cookies on both nestles site as well as sugarbelles site, I knew It was possible to replicate my favorite long lost cookie. BTW: Ive looked online to see if Mrs fields still makes those same cookie monster cookies and they don't): But If I ever find a picture of one, I'll for sure post it. One blogger actually happened to make some cookie monster mini chip cut out cookies. HERE'S the link. (that's her photo I have posted above) I wonder if she used to buy them too when she was young(: So tonight I didn't actually make mini chip cookie monster cutouts, instead I made mini chip "heart" cutouts. I don't have a cookie monster cookie cutter yet, but as soon as I get one... Regardless, this was the same concept, same taste, and honestly this is the best cookie Ive ever had. Not just because of my childhood memory, but holy shiz! this is a really good recipe!



Mini Chip Cut-out Cookies
(adapted from THIS recipe)
(or adapted from THIS recipe)

1 cup butter (unsalted)
1 c powdered sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup white mini chips
1 cup milk chocolate mini chips

Cream together the butter and sugars. To that add the vanilla, salt, and egg yolk. Add flour one cup at a time until completely incorporated. Then, BY HAND or on low speed w/ mixer, fold in the mini chips.

*MEANWHILE, PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350°*

While you wait for the oven to warm, wrap your dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least thirty minutes. When it is chilled, roll out cookies on lightly floured parchment and bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. (I rolled mine like 1/2" thick)

Frost cooled cookies however desired. For the purple heart cookies pictured above I used Royal Icing (this particular recipe.)



2 comments: