Friday, November 20, 2009

Soft Sugar Cookies

Ive never been a fan of sugar cookies that call for sour cream. Sour Cream is supposed to make the cookies softer but the real trick for soft cookies is just to slightly under-bake them. Sour cream to me just makes the cookie seem too much like a biscuit rather than a cookie. The sour cream makes the cookies puff up with sort of this light weightless texture that isn't right for a cookie, in my opinion. However one of my most favorite recipe blogs that I visit basically daily is cookingwithcarrie. And one of her posts was Soft Sugar Cookies and hers looked so so beautiful that I had to make them. They were pretty good (well decent, but i had low expectations from the start, hence the sour cream) and they did taste somewhat like the Loft House cookies, however mine didn't turn out as pretty as hers did. I think the biggest reason is because I used butter instead of Crisco since I ran out of Crisco and also my mom wouldn't let me put food coloring in the frosting so that made them kinda ugly too but I'm going to post the real recipe below because if you make them I want yours to turn out just as pretty as Carries.



Soft Sugar Cookies

(original recipe)



Sugar Cookie Ingredients
1 cup shortening(I use Crisco)
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients till well combined. Roll out chilled dough 1/2 inch thick on floured surface and cut out circle shapes using the rim of a cup. Bake for 8 minutes at 350.



Butter Cream Frosting Ingredients
2 pound bag powdered sugar (I added an additional cup to get the thicker consistency I wanted)1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
Food coloring, if desired


Mix all ingredients till well combined and spread over cooled cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment