Friday, September 23, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

marshmallow fondant
marshmallow fondant

Oh My Gosh!!!! omg omg omg i cant stop saying it. I just made fondant!!! And it was so easy. For so many years, I just thought "I cant make that, but it looks so cool" But then after reading cookies and cups, and Bake at 350, I realized I might be able to pull it off. It really was so much easier than I thought and it really tastes so good. I was looking for meringue powder today at wallmart and then harmons so I could make Royal Icing, what I thought could serve as an alternative to fondant, and what I thought would be easier, but forget royal icing when you can have fondant, which is so much better (in my opinion). better looking and better tasting, and so easy!!! So 1st I made the fondant, then stuck it in a ziplock and let it chill in the fridge. Then I whipped up some of sugar belles sugar cookies which are basically the same recipe as my sugar cookies. I added some food coloring to the sugar cookie dough just for kicks. I used halloween cookie cutters for both the cookie dough and the fondant. I then I topped each baked cookie 1st with buttercream frosting to make the fondant stick, and then I layered the rolled fonant over top of the buttercream. These cookies tasted A-MAZING. Favorite cookie from now on and for ever.

recipe source: thedomesticsugar.blogspot.com

Marshmallow Fondant:

  • 4 c (9 oz pkg) miniature marshmallows
  • 4 c (1 lb) powdered sugar + plus extra for dusting
  • 2 tbsp water
  • Food coloring or flavored extracts, optional
  • 1-2 tbsp shortening (for hands)

Directions:

1. Place marshmallows and the water in a large glass (safe) bowl. Microwave for 30 sec, stir marshmallows, microwave for 20 more sec. Do this until the marshmallows are puffy (melted).

2. Stir the marshmallows with a rubber spatula until they are melted and smooth. Make sure there are no lumps at all. At this stage, add colour or flavor (if desired) and stir.

3. Slowly add the powdered sugar and begin to stir with the spatula. Stir until the sugar begins to incorporate and it becomes impossible to stir anymore.

4. Scrape the fondant mixture out onto a sugar-dusted, smooth surface. It will be sticky and lumpy, with lots of sugar that has not been incorporated yet--this is normal. Place some shortening on yoru hands to keep the fondant from sticking, and begin to knead the fondant mixture like bread dough, working the sugar into the marshmallow with your hands.

5. Kneed until smooth and not sticky (you may need to coat your hands every now and again to prevent sticking). Be careful - too much sugar will make the dough stiff and hard to work with, juse only enough where the dough stays a little sticky, but can be handled. Let fondant sit for 1h or use right way. Fondant can be stored in an air-tight bag until ready to use. I coat mine in a little shortening, then wrap it in plastic wrap, THEN stick it in a ziplock baggie. But that's me :)


Recipe Source: sweetsugarbelle.com

To make my basic sugar cookies you need:

  • 1 c. REAL unsalted BUTTER
  • 1 1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2-2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt

Cream together softened butter and confectioner’s sugar. Beat in the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt till thouroughly combined. Gradually beat in the flour till dough comes together. Roll out to about 1/4" thick, use flour for dusting as necessary. Then, cut and bake at 350 for 8-10 min



No comments:

Post a Comment